10/15/2009

Ignorance

I don't know why I wasn't aware of the CA budget crisis sooner and it's effects on, well, everything. Talks about affecting higher education have been going on since January of this year. It is now October and enlightenment of the situation occurred when I saw the walkout on the first day of class. Moreover, I didn't even fully understand or attempt to understand the foundations of the issues until yesterday when I went to a teach-in, as part of a comm assignment, about the university crisis. I feel so tiny in this insane mess. How am I, or we, suppose to prevent this from happening? How involved should we get? When I think of activists I think of extremists, but they're just fighting to protect what they believe in. The more research I have to do for the project, the more uneasy I feel about the situation. I don't think my voice is loud enough for this. And I feel so scared and powerless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

democracy vs bureaucracy

Kelsey Wong said...

there's nothing we can do about it really. :| the state is in such a severe deficit (billions of dollars) that of course, they're making us pay more for higher education because they can't fund us any longer at the level they used to. the uc's are not living up to the "public" aspect - the more we pay, the more private our university becomes. so SAD. tuition is going to jump 32% :(

maybe you'll do something so grand and extreme that all those bureaucrats will change their minds and lower our tuition!